The Rare Books Collection is the default designation for materials in Special Collections that are acquired as individual items. Like Special Collections in general, this collection is diverse. Holdings include printed books, periodicals, pamphlets, and broadsides. The collection contains important first editions of classical authors and authors of world importance, limited editions, association copies, and autographed copies in addition to works deemed rare by virtue of age.
English Short Title Catalog materials are in the process of being digitized. Selections are available in the HathiTrust.
17th-19th-century English broadsides are available in the University of Missouri Digital Library.
See the University of Missouri Digital Library for various other materials from the Rare Books Collection.
With a few exceptions, the collection can be accessed through the library catalog under the author heading Rare Book Collection (University of Missouri--Columbia. Libraries).
The collection is available to all researchers. Request materials for use in the Special Collections reading room. Parts of this collection are stored offsite. Please request materials at least 48 hours in advance.
- Special Collections
- Rare Books
- Albert and Mary Louise Lord Collection
- Anthony C. DeBellis Collection of Humanistic Literature
- Center for the Literary Arts Collection
- Council of National Defense Collection
- Cuneiform Tablets
- Daniel Webster Speeches Collection, 1806-1932
- Fine Press Materials in Special Collections
- Fourth of July Orations Collection
- Fragmenta Manuscripta
- Helen Montgomery Jenkins Collection
- Historic Textbook Collection
- Jacques Flach Collection
- John G. Neihardt Collection
- Limited Editions Club Collection
- Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts
- Pages from the Past Collection
- Press Ephemera Collection
- Private Collection of Antiquarian Books and Manuscripts
- Theatre Program Collection
- Thomas Moore Johnson Collection of Philosophy
- Twentieth-Century Political Pamphlet Collection
- Walter Miller Library
- Rare Books