One Hundred Rare Book Terms
Rare books libraries and reference materials for working with rare books are full of specialist terms (or terms that mean something different in the context of special collections). To make it easier for you to use our materials, we have prepared a glossary of terms you may encounter.
Other useful glossaries can be found online here:
The British Library. Online Catalogue of Illuminated Manuscripts — Glossaries. https://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/glossary.asp.
Carter, John, and Nicolas Barker. ABC for Book Collectors, 8th edition. New Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press, 2010. https://ilab.org/articles/john-carter-abc-book-collectors.
Roberts, Matt T. and Don Etherington. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. https://cool.culturalheritage.org/don/don.html.
Society of American Archivists. Glossary of Archival and Records Terminology. https://www2.archivists.org/glossary.
The following works were consulted in the preparation of this glossary:
- Baker, Cathleen A. From the Hand to the Machine: Nineteenth-Century American Paper and Mediums: Technologies, Materials, and Conservation. Ann Arbor, MI: The Legacy Press, 2014.
- Berry, W. Turner, and H. Edmund Poole. Annals of Printing: A Chronological Encyclopaedia. London: Blandford Press, 1966.
- Bowers, Fredson. Principles of Bibliographical Description. New Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press, 2012.
- Carter, John, and Nicolas Barker. ABC for Book Collectors, 8th edition. New Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press, 2010.
- Clair, Colin. A Chronology of Printing. New York and Washington: Frederick A. Praeger, Publishers 1969.
- Gaskell, Philip. A New Introduction to Bibliography. New Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press, 2009.
- Greenfield, Jane. ABC of Bookbinding. New Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press, 1998.
- Suarez, Michael F., S.J., and H. R. Woudhuysen, eds. The Book: A Global History. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.
Curated by John Henry Adams, 2020.