The Comic Art Collection has particular strength in underground comic books, graphic novels, and published reprints of classic comic strips and cartoons. Special Collections also maintains a core reference collection on comics, including price guides, encyclopedias, and scholarly publications.
The collection contains over 13,000 catalogued comic books, journals, and monographs. Special Collections also contains several related collections in the form of the personal papers and original artwork of various cartoonists (see below).
The collection is available to all researchers, but it does not circulate. Books must be used in Special Collections' reading room during service hours or by appointment. Most of this collection is stored offsite. Please submit an off-site materials request form at least 48 hours in advance.
Comic monographs and serials are catalogued in the MERLIN library catalog under the author heading Comic Collection (University of Missouri Columbia Libraries). Advice on using MERLIN to search Special Collections can be found here.
- Allen C. Bluedorn Comic Collection
- Bonnet-Brown Comic Art Syndicate Collection
- Edgar Everett Martin Papers, 1926-1972; 1935-
- Frank Stack Papers, 1957-
- John Tinney McCutcheon Collection of Editorial Cartoons
- Mort Walker Papers, 1946-2001
- Underground Comics Syndicate Proofs Collection
- V.T. Hamlin Collections