We had a successful Homecoming Open House last weekend with a huge crowd. We helped visitors make around 130 library buttons, almost 100 mini pumpkins and lots of tiger masks. We also handed out tons of pencils, post it notes, Special Collections bookmarks and black & gold beads. Visitors enjoyed cider, coffee, pumpkin bars and more!
Check out pictures of the event at https://www.instagram.com/p/B3nT0kmnjnU/.
Thanks to the following librarians and staff who helped with the event:
Ann Campion Riley
To support United Way, we are going to have a bake off (really, it’s a bake sale) on Nov. 4-8. Please participate by bringing in your best bake goods or purchasing the yummy treats! All the proceeds will support United Way’s fight against poverty in Boone County.
To make it more fun and more like the Great British Bake Off, each day of the bake sale will have a theme!
- Monday: Cakes and Pies
- Tuesday: Cookies and Brownies
- Wednesday: Muffins and Scones
- Thursday: Free for All
- Friday: Leftovers!
I will send out more details soon!
If you would like to give to United Way right now, go to https://unitedway.missouri.edu.
How does United Way play role in meeting immediate needs while addressing systemic, generational poverty?
- The underlying issues are the focus of United Way’s work.
- Education – programs like early childhood education, literacy, tutoring.
- Health – programs for mental & physical health, substance abuse, healthy lifestyles.
- Financial stability – programs like job skills, financial literacy & budgeting.
- Basic needs – programs like food banks & emergency shelters.
- This year, Heart of Missouri United Way will:
- Fund 47 grants to 34 different agencies.
- Grants are DATA DRIVEN and outcomes are measured for every program.
- Volunteers give more than 460 hours of time to the review and allocation cycle.
- Invest more than $2 million in the local community through
- financial support to non-profit agencies for specific programs.
- coaching, mentoring, and supporting agencies in pursuit of excellence.
- convening government, industry, education, and the non-profit sectors to identify address top community needs.
- Despite this significant level of investment, we could only fund 60% of agency requested dollars in the 2019 Community Investment cycle.
If you would like to support United Way, go to the 2019 Mizzou United Way Campaign.
Visit Ellis Library immediately after the Homecoming Parade on Saturday, Oct. 12 for refreshments and family activities.The first 100 kids will receive a free mini pumpkin. This event is free and open to the public.
Thanks to the Archives for a popular Mizzou Homecoming photo! So far over 11,000 people have seen this tweet!
ACQUISITIONS LIBRARIAN – Job ID# 31770
The University of Missouri Libraries (Columbia, MO) has an immediate opening for an Acquisitions Librarian. Primary function is to administer and provide leadership for the Acquisitions unit of Acquisitions, Collections, and Technical Services (ACTS), in University Libraries.
Apply online at http://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic with Job ID 31770.
LIBRARY SPECIALIST — Job ID# 31752
The Libraries’ Digital Services department has an immediate opening for a Library Specialist to add harvested and submitted content to the MOspace Institutional Repository and the HathiTrust, and increase access to online resources by enriching bibliographic and authority records.
Apply online at https://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/staff with Job ID 31752.