In addition to teaching class sessions, Special Collections staff have prepared a number of resources that you can incorporate into your classes. We have curated subject-specific teaching guides with resources from around the web and from our own teaching, available for your use on LibGuides. We have also developed videos on a range of topics, from features of specific items in the collections to using the library catalog to find Special Collections materials. Additional resources related to rare books and our manuscript collections are also available.
Lesson Plans and Handouts
Feel free to download, modify, and use the lesson plans, worksheets, and handouts linked below. Contact a librarian with questions.
- National History Day Resources at MU Libraries
- Teaching and Researching Comics and Graphic Novels
- Teaching Book History in Special Collections
- Teaching the History of Print
- Teaching the History of Medicine in Special Collections
- Teaching Visual Arts in Special Collections
- Teaching with Archives and Manuscript Collections
- Teaching with Medieval Books in Special Collections
A playlist of videos produced by Special Collections on YouTube is available below. Instructional videos are also available on Panopto and can easily be embedded into your Canvas course website.
A complete listing of videos produced by Special Collections is available here.
Life Among The Shelves, our nine-episode podcast about behind-the-scenes work in Special Collections and Archives, is available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and other streaming services. The podcast is aimed at a general audience, but may be of special interest to library and information science students.