Melanoma/Skin Cancer Awareness Month – a time to increase awareness of the importance of the prevention, early detection and treatment of skin cancer.
Fact: More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year in the U.S. than all other cancers combined.
National Bike Month
Health benefits of biking:
- increased muscle strength and flexibility
- improved joint mobility
- decreased stress levels
- improved posture and coordination
- strengthened bones
- decreased body fat levels
- Increased cardiovascular fitness
- reduced anxiety and depression.
Mental Health Awareness Month
A few examples of healthy habits that can boost mental health include:
- Sleep: Sleep recharges the mind and body. Lack of sleep can raise cortisol (the stress hormone) levels and heighten a person’s fight or flight response. Sleep allows new neural pathways to form and may contribute to resilience.
- Nutrition: Food is not only fuel. It also impacts which hormones the body produces. Eating certain foods helps boost serotonin levels, which can improve mood.
- Exercise: Studies show regular exercise can help relieve stress and improve mood. It has also been shown to reduce anxiety and depression.
Nurturing the body through self-care can provide more energy for other activities that boost mental health, but for some that is not enough. If you want more information or need help, please contact our Employee Assistance Program for help. https://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits/eap
Events Near You
- Mizzou Mile: The Inclusive Excellence Mile Run, May 5 https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=129516
- Pedaler’s Jamboree, May 26-27 https://www.pedalersjamboree.com/
- Bike Walk and Wheel Week, May 12-20 https://pednet.org/bwww/
Due to an issue in the Telepresence room, there is an electrical outage for Ellis Library scheduled for Tuesday, June 5, from 5 to 7am. Please turn your computers off on Monday at the end of the day.
Kate Wright has accepted a position as Outreach and Student Success Coordinator at the William H. White Business Library at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Her last day in the Engineering Library will be July 6. The Engineering Library will be hosting a farewell open house for Kate on Friday, June 29 from 1-3.
It’s the time of year to volunteer for Library Committees. Please send in your self-nominations to me by May 31. Information and current committee lists can be found on the staff web page at http://libraryguides.missouri.edu/staff/committees. New terms will start on July 1, 2018.
There are openings on the following committees:
- Diversity and Inclusion Action Committee
- Staff Development Committee
- Undergraduate Research Paper Contest Committee
- Ellis Library Space and Facilities Advisory Committee
- Instruction Committee (committee charge attached)
Additionally, the Staff Advisory Group is seeking nominations and self-nominations for the vice chair and recorder positions. Elections will be held after May 31 so that you can vote on those nominated. New terms will start on July 1, 2018.
Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Sheryl Cullina, PHR, SHRM-CP
HR Manager – Libraries
Thank you to everyone who participated in the pilot year of the Incentive Program. The raffle winners are:
- Colleen Smith – $50 gift card
- Ashley Granger – $25 gift card
- Corrie Hutchinson – $25 gift card
This program has been renewed for another year. To qualify for a raffle ticket:
- Attend an HR event, an in-person/online class, read a print/ebook that will increase your skill level in some way
- Notify Sheryl Cullina by providing the date and details of the event/activity and she will add a raffle ticket with your name on it
- Deadline for submission is May 17, 2019
- More information can be found at http://libraryguides.missouri.edu/staffincentive
Brittany East will be leaving Ellis Library Security. Her last day will be June 15, 2018.
Please welcome. . .
- Kendall Steinmetz to Ellis Library Security. Kendall began working as a part time Security Officer on 5/10/2018.
- Bonnie Johnson to the Ellis Library Receiving Room. Bonnie transferred to the Libraries on 5/15/2018.
- Ari Pepper to Ellis Library Admin. Ari will be a part time HR Assistant starting on 5/29.
Congratulations to all of our employees who were recognized at this year’s Celebration of Service. The supervisors provided comments about each employee. You can see those comments if you visit the links listed below.