Melanoma/Skin Cancer Awareness Month – a time to increase awareness of the importance of the prevention, early detection and treatment of skin cancer.
Fact: More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year in the U.S. than all other cancers combined.
National Bike Month
Health benefits of biking:
- increased muscle strength and flexibility
- improved joint mobility
- decreased stress levels
- improved posture and coordination
- strengthened bones
- decreased body fat levels
- Increased cardiovascular fitness
- reduced anxiety and depression.
Mental Health Awareness Month
A few examples of healthy habits that can boost mental health include:
- Sleep: Sleep recharges the mind and body. Lack of sleep can raise cortisol (the stress hormone) levels and heighten a person’s fight or flight response. Sleep allows new neural pathways to form and may contribute to resilience.
- Nutrition: Food is not only fuel. It also impacts which hormones the body produces. Eating certain foods helps boost serotonin levels, which can improve mood.
- Exercise: Studies show regular exercise can help relieve stress and improve mood. It has also been shown to reduce anxiety and depression.
Nurturing the body through self-care can provide more energy for other activities that boost mental health, but for some that is not enough. If you want more information or need help, please contact our Employee Assistance Program for help. https://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits/eap
Events Near You
- Mizzou Mile: The Inclusive Excellence Mile Run, May 5 https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=129516
- Pedaler’s Jamboree, May 26-27 https://www.pedalersjamboree.com/
- Bike Walk and Wheel Week, May 12-20 https://pednet.org/bwww/