Thank you to faculty, students, and staff who contributed to the difficult process of reducing our collections spending in FY17. We have completed the process for this fiscal year.
- You may review lists of journals cancelled.
- We stopped ordering books on April 1 and will resume after July 1. Please let your subject librarian know of materials you will need for the summer and early fall as soon as you can.
- Please be aware especially of how these budget cuts may impact your students as they must rely more on interlibrary loan and MOBIUS for materials. These impacts include:
- waiting for delivery of articles and books from other libraries;
- shorter loan periods; and
- stricter overdue fines from other libraries.
- Although it’s tempting to use informal methods (I can haz pdf, SciHub, etc.) to obtain articles, be aware that these often involve violations of copyright and license agreements, can pose online security issues, and prevent us from knowing what you need. We will deliver materials via interlibrary loan as quickly as possible—and use request data to make future budget decisions.
- Help us be more aware of what materials are used: please link to articles and other online materials rather than reposting pdfs.
- Please do not reshelve materials used in the libraries. Just leave them on a table or reshelving area, so we can register that they’ve been used.
Our budget for FY18 is not yet final, but we will be reducing our collections spending again. Our first project towards this reduction will be to review the titles in our package of journals published by the University of Chicago Press (Chicago Complete). To contribute your feedback on these titles, please review the list posted on our Collections Review page. Please contribute feedback by May 30th.