home Staff news Staff Advisory Group Notes, 10/10/17

Staff Advisory Group Notes, 10/10/17

 

  • General announcements & introductions: Kevin McFillen
  • Director’s report: Ann Campion Riley
    • Depository: We are on the approved capital list from the Board of Curator’s last meeting. Once Facilities gets subcontractors, they will bring their plans to the Board in Feb.  Following that, we will get the final approval.  We will get the money July 1st.  Thereafter, we will start construction.  We renewed the annual lease at the current UMLD II facility. We plan to move in late fall ‘18 or early spring ’19.
    • Lowry Mall construction: they are hoping to get open by the Homecoming parade.
    • Homecoming Open House 9:00 a.m. -11:00 a.m., game at 11:00 a.m., parade starts at 7:30 a.m.
    • Congratulations Barb Jones for Achievement Award for MCMLA and to Grace Atkins for Missouri Library Association: Outstanding New Librarian Award
    • Ann will attend the Dean’s Council strategic planning and retreat with Chancellor’s staff on Oct. 31.
    • Marketing and imaging campaign: retention and freshmen ACT is the highest in MU history.
    • Job Placement rate at Mizzou is above the national average.
      • University will be doing a large national job placement survey across campus in coordination with the Alumni Association.
    • Engineering Librarian and Head of Special Collections searches are going to be reposted.
    • Bird delay: the birds are not in as good of condition as we had thought. The campus photographer took pictures and we will put them on online auctions through Procurement. Ann hopes to get enough from the birds to pay for the move from UMLD2 to the UMLD expansion.
    • Some libraries are unhappy with iii and Mobius, specifically with available features and pricings. MU is staying with iii and there is a common libraries meeting in October to discuss their plans in continuing or changing these services.
  • RAIS quarterly report: Jeannette Pierce
    • Ithaka Survey launched last Monday to 6,543 graduate students and 3,090 faculty. We have a 5% completion rate as of last Friday. Oct. 27 is the end date of the survey.  We hope to have a 20-25% completion rate.  Ithaka will send out reminders, but our word of mouth is important as well.  The Gateway announcement can be sent out to inform people of the survey.
    • The question project: Jeannette is working to collect questions that are frequently asked so they can do some training with librarians and desk staff.
    • A new Senior Information Specialist and a part time employee to focus on the Hathi Trust materials have been hired.
    • Adrienne Arden is retiring Oct. 20th and the position description is in process.
    • There is a Life Sciences exhibit with a related lecture in Ellis 114 at 2:00 p.m., tomorrow, 10/11.
    • Microform readers have been moved from 403 to 404. Room 403 is closed for now with the hope of opening it in the future as office space.
    • Marie is helping to coordinate the Missouri State Government Information Conference on Nov. 3 in Jeff City.
    • Our Latin American student group is going to create memorials on Nov. 1 to be placed in an Ellis display cabinet.
    • GWLA white paper: information literacy paper shows positive correlation with library support and GPA / retention rate.
    • Nav is involved with badges and micro credentialing on campus.
    • Nav attended Campus Identity meeting specifically working with how we use our web image.
    • Joe Askins hosted an instruction forum and reported 120 instructional sessions were held this semester.
    • Cindy is doing tours and user engagement through user access instead of through instructional services.
    • RapidR is going into effect this week.
    • LGBTQ month posters and articles about court cases are up to celebrate Coming Out Week, Oct. 9-13.
  • Specialized Libraries quarterly report: Dorothy Carner
    • Reviewed fax machines and phone lines this fall.
  • Michelle and Kate are doing outreach for first year students, newsletter submissions and COE digital signage.
  • Noel met with evaluators from the Accreditation Board for Engineering & Technology, to answer questions about how the people and resources in Ellis and the Engineering Libraries support the educational needs of the College of Engineering’s students.
    • Our HSL is hosting MCMLA in Columbia for the first time since the 1970’s.
    • HSL is working with a School of Journalism Strategic Communication Capstone project this fall.
    • National Network of Libraries of Medicine, graduate assistant started this week to lead this year’s NNLM project.
    • Journalism working with AdZou to remarket JAM program.
    • Edward and Dorothy have been collaborating with IFLA and IIPC colleagues on an international survey of national and state libraries concerning current legal and electronic-legal deposit laws.
      • Dorothy presented parts of the survey at the most recent CRL eDesiderata webex conference on digital news last Wednesday.
    • ACTS quarterly report: Corrie Hutchinson
      • We have a lot of work to do to get ready for the expansion; cleaning out duplicates and working to clean out cataloging projects; Dan will be moving to the Depository to help with this project.
      • Ruthe will be helping with some projects at HSL.
      • Geoffrey Preckshot from UMLD recently retired; we wish him the best.
      • We are looking to get a new Link Resolver.
      • We are thankful to the Provost’s commitment to filling our deficit in the collections budget.
      • Corrie is the Chair of Merlin Standalone Taskforce with Julie and we have new products that are being installed.
      • Unexpected Sierra upgrade: please email Corrie with problems.
      • Site coordinator duties have been transferred from Wayne to Corrie.
      • Our new problem ticketing system, called JIRA, will start in January.
      • Encore is coming to Merlin at some point. Rhonda is our campus representative for that project.
    • Ellis/facilities updates and reminders: Kathy, Dana
      • The cameras are being installed on the exterior of the building. They are working on wiring before they install cameras.
      • ID Card upgrade starts on Thursday. We will get cards with chips, strips and iClass notation.
      • We hope to have the doors converted to read these cards at the end of Thanksgiving break.
      • Nametags will be ordered soon. They will be metal and magnetic.
      • Steam tunnel repairs should be completed Oct. 20 and Hitt street should be open for the Homecoming parade. 9th street will be closed soon, with expected completion April 1st.
      • ULSAC is working on new furniture for room 114. Grace is getting feedback from students to hear what they want. We hope to get the first set of furniture by spring break and the second set by summer break.
      • The Museum is displaying vases in Ellis cabinets.
      • New One Cards process will be implemented Oct. 31st
      • 1st we will have Amazon implemented on ShowMeShop.
      • Ellis location signage should arrive any day. They have been delayed due to staffing changes at Campus Facilities.
    • HR Updates, upcoming events: Sheryl, Sheila, Ruthe
      • Ruthe: we will have a Halloween Party. More details will come soon.
      • Denise Atkins presentation on The Allure of Romance Novels or, Why Sex Sells tomorrow, October 11th at 2:00 p.m.
      • 18 at 5:00 p.m., Mizzou One Read Program: How Fear Leads to Atrocity, MU faculty panel discussion.
      • Annual HR training conference will come out soon.
      • United Way Campaign Oct. 16-27. Oct. 17 is Chili Cook Off and Cookie Bake Off
        • Penny Wars: Change collection and departmental competition
        • Candy guess jar
  • Chair closing remarks: Kevin McFillen
    • Chancellor Cartwright will be visiting the Libraries at Ellis on Nov. 6th and will be meeting staff and students from 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in 114A.
  • Next SAG Town Hall – Thursday, November 16th at 2:00pm
home Staff news Staff Advisory Group Notes, 9/7/17

Staff Advisory Group Notes, 9/7/17

 

  • General announcements & introductions: Kevin McFillen

Internal Speaker: Grace Atkins presenting on OERs

  • Vice Provost’s report: Ann Campion Riley

We hope to receive approval soon from the Provost for the new $5 million depository.  The Campus will loan us the money and we will make installments until it is paid off.  Since the other system campuses have found other avenues for depository materials, this is slated as a campus proposal instead of a system proposal such as the current depository was built.  Once built, we will then relinquish our rented space for UMLD II.

Provost Stokes has indicated that she will restore $1 million of the funds lost in the campus cuts for our Libraries collections.  This will allow us to keep our packages with our large vendors.  We can share this information with our stakeholders and interested parties.

The State Historical Society is looking at moving Dec. 2019.  Renovations could start in Jan. 2020.  The Provost’s office has indicated that the Libraries will have first dibs on the space.  Our ideas include Archives moving over, disabilities services, Student Success Center tutoring space.  Jim Spain, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies, has offered some funds for part of the renovations relating to the space planned for the Student Success Center.

We still hope for an additional expansion to the South.  We will look at drawing up plans to share with donors, Chancellor and System President in the near future.

We are pleased to welcome the Council of Deans and Chancellor’s Staff meeting in 114A on Monday mornings for a few months this semester.

  • Submitted Question: How is the water being filtered? Is the water safe to drink following the boil advisory?

Drinking Fountains are filtered from sediment and lime.  The bottle filling stations are set up with our filters that last longer.  Consequently, the “bottles saved” indicator is inactive.  The filters are all on an annual replacement program.  It does not filter for taste.  Jimmy from campus facilities confirmed that the water is safe to drink after the recent precautionary boil advisories.

  • HR Updates, upcoming events: Sheryl Cullina

Clarification about the organizational tree changes as mentioned in the past LMT minutes:  We are currently considered one department by the campus, but we do not operate or consider ourselves as such.  We are applying our current org charts to PeopleSoft.

Engineering Librarian and SCARAB positions are open and accepting applications. Sr. Library Specialist – Digital Services and part time Maintenance Services Attendant are the open staff positions at this time.

Events:

Division of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity upcoming training dates and details are being worked out.

Mizzou One Read: Infamy

Sep. 25, 1:00 pm: Experience of Puerto Rican Citizenship

Oct. 6, 12:30 pm: Rights of Guantanamo detainees

Oc.t 18, 5:00 pm: faculty panel about ideas the book raises.

Public library one read, small book display: The Turner House

  • Tribute to Debbie Melvin – Kathy Peters

Many library staff members attended Debbie Melvin’s Celebration of Life this past weekend.  Delightful stories about Debbie were shared, followed by a picnic lunch.  Debbie wanted to be remembered in this joyous manner.

  • Guest Speaker: Grace Atkins – Outreach Librarian

SAC: Website will show what organizations are involved in Joint Council with the Student Advisory Committee that has been responsible for facilitating the Student Enhancement Fee passage.  SAC is meeting 6 times this semester to keep up with their student vision for the Student Enhancement Fee.  They are excited to hear that we want to expand to the South.

OER: Open and Affordable Educational Resources Taskforce has identified their goals and mission.  Grace serves on two subcommittees for the OAER Taskforce.  UMKC librarian is on the other subcommittees, so we have a librarian represented on all subcommittees.  The goal is to educate faculty on what we have already.  The focus is on adopting open textbooks that have already been written.

MOBIUS and Open Textbook Network: Sep 27 is the kickoff webinar to explain the partnership.  Trains people how to lead reviewed textbook workshops. They hope to have a librarian at every campus to lead such workshops for faculty.

  • Chair closing remarks: Kevin McFillen

Staff Advisory Group: Tuesday, Oct. 10th, 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 p.m