Are you interested in publishing, but don’t know how or where to start? Consider BMJ Case Reports as your starting point.
The Health Sciences Library has a subscription to BMJ Case Reports for 2018, which includes a waiver of the individual membership fee of $250/year normally required to publish cases in it. This journal is peer reviewed, indexed in MEDLINE, and has a 42% acceptance rate. Published cases are available to subscribers immediately upon publication and are free to the world after 2 years, giving your work greater visibility.
If you check all the boxes on this checklist, you can submit any of these types of cases:
- Reminder of important clinical lesson
- Findings that shed new light on the possible pathogenesis of a disease or an adverse effect
- Learning from errors
- Unusual presentation of more common disease/injury
- Myth exploded
- Rare disease
- New disease
- Novel diagnostic procedure
- Novel treatment (new drug/intervention; established drug/procedure in new situation)
- Unusual association of diseases/symptoms
- Unexpected outcome (positive or negative) including adverse drug reactions
- For Global Health case reports, use this checklist
- For “Images In” case reports, use this checklist
We created some instructions to give you an idea of the submission process. Interested in publishing a case report? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help you get started.