Find a Book
How to Find a Book
- Search the Catalog for Books
- On the result page, filter the results by Format books in the Library Location you want, e.g.: MU Ellis Library
- Location: Which library the book is located
- Call number: Where the book is exactly on the shelves
- Status: Whether the book is available, checked out, or missing.
Locate Your Book
After you search and find a book in the catalog, you need three pieces of information to locate your material.
Find an Ellis Library Call Number
(WARNING: this will NOT work for other libraries on campus)
Use one of two methods:
- Consult the book location guide.
- Input below the call number of a book at Ellis Library to receive a map and written directions to the book's location.
Video by MU Librarian Michael Muchow
Still Can’t Find a Book?
- Make sure you are looking in the correct library. Check the library location.
- Check the call number.
- Make sure the book is not already checked out. Check the status.
Look for the book yourself
- Look for the reshelving area and check there. Reshelving areas are usually against walls and are marked RESHELVING.
- Go to the shelving room near the elevators on the 4th floor East and ask for assistance.
- Ask for help at the Checkout and Information Desk near the north entrance of Ellis Library on the 1st floor.
- Use the Retrieve from Shelf Service.
- See if book is available on another campus (MOBIUS) and request the book.
NOTE: To check out books, you'll need a current MU ID or guest borrower's card
Find Call Numbers in Ellis Library
Call Number Ranges (click on range to view map)
|AC → AP||4 East|
|AS → AZ||4 East|
|B → DA||3 East|
|DB → DF||3 East|
|DG → DR||3 East|
|DS → HE||3 East|
|HF → L||2 East|
|L → LT||2 East|
|M → M 991||4 East|
|M 1000 → N||4 East|
|N → NX||4 East|
|P → PG||2A West|
|PH → PQ 2999||3 Central|
|PQ 3000 → Q||2 East|
|Q → QD 380||2 East|
|QD 381 → QK||2 East|
|QL 100 → QR||2 Central|
|R → RZ||2 Central|
|S → SK||2 West|
|T → UH||1A West|
|V → VM||1 West|
|Z → ZA||1 West|
Special Call Numbers
|001 → 353.7||3 West|
|353.8 (Government Documents)||1 East|
|353.9 → 999||3 West|
|MU Library Depository (UMLD)||MU Depository|
|SPEC||4 North West|
|DVD Collection||1 Central|
|Federal Goverment Documents||1 East|
|Missouri State Documents||1 East|
|Current Periodicals / Journals||1 Central|
Find out more about the Library of Congress Classification System.
Maps, Locations, & Floor Plans
|MU Archives||University Archives|
|MU Depository||Request delivery from off-site storage|
|MU Engineering Library||Engineering Library & Technology Commons|
|MU Geology||Geological Sciences Library|
|MU Health Sciences Library||Health Sciences Library|
|MU Journalism||Journalism Library|
|MU Law Library||MU Law Library|
|MU Math||Mathematical Sciences Library|
|State Historical Society-Columbia||State Historical Society of Missouri|
|MU Veterinary Medical Library||Veterinary Medical Library|
If the book is still on the shelf, it can be checked out for a shorter amount of time because of a pending request on it.
|BILLED||A patron has kept it past the due date.|
Checked out until the listed date.
If a book you want is currently checked out, you can learn how request the book from:
Is being processed to be added to the library. It will soon be available to check out.
Not available to check out. It is being transferred between libraries.
|LIB USE ONLY||
May only be used inside of the library.
This code is usually reserved for Reference Books and books in Special Collections.
|NEW BOOKS||On a new book shelf in Ellis or a branch library.|
|NOT CHECKED OUT||In the library and available to be checked out.|
|ON HOLD||Has been recalled by a patron.|
|ON HOLD SHELF||Being held at the circulation desk for the patron who has requested it.|
|PAGED + ONE HOLD||
The item has been requested (paged) and has not yet been pulled from the shelf.
|UNDER CONSIDERATION||In the approval room for the Library to evaluate. It will most likely be added to the library and soon be available to check out.|