Equipment can be checked out at each of the MU Libraries Circulation Desks. Certain equipment is only available for use within the library.
For a detailed listing of equipment availability at specific libraries including information on what can be taken out of the library and what cannot leave the library see Multimedia Equipment for Checkout and Library Use.
To renew checked out equipment login to MERLIN.
Laptops are available for checkout in Ellis, Engineering, Health Sciences, and Journalism libraries. (Only the Journalism laptops may be taken outside of the library)
Apple iPads can be checked out at Ellis, Engineering, Health Sciences, and Journalism libraries. They are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Loan period varies from 1-2 weeks
- 1st and 2nd Generation available
- More details about checking out iPads
Dell (Windows 7) and Apple (Mac OS X) laptop computers are available for 2 & 3 hour checkout at several library reserve desks. Laptops are checked out with charging cables, mice are also available upon request. Additional information on specific software availability is available at the Division of IT Computing Sites Software website.
- 12 Laptops available at Ellis Library (2 hr) more
- 10 Dell Laptops available at the Engineering Library (3 hr)
- 20 MacBook Pros available at Journalism (3 hr) [can be taken out of library]
- Adobe CS6 Design and Web Premium, Adobe Reader, EndNote X6, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint Visio), AutoCAD, MiniTab, MyITlab, PuTTy, SecureCRT, SecureFX
- Browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer
- Multimedia: iTunes, Windows Media Player, VLC, QuickTime Player
- Adobe CS6 Design and Web Premium, Adobe Reader, iLife 11 Suite, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), XCode, CyberDuck, TextMate, TextWrangler, Stuffit Expander
- Browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari
- Multimedia: iTunes, QuickTime X, Audacity
Laptop Checkout Policies
|Location||Laptops can only be used in the Library, with the exception of the Journalism Library Computers|
|Eligibility||Current MU faculty, staff and students with valid ID.|
|Loan Period||2 and 3 hours, on a first come, first served basis.|
|Renewals||Laptops may be renewed at the circulation desk if other laptops are available.|
|Overdue Fines||per hour|
|Charges||Borrower is responsible for replacement cost of the computer or cost of repair due to loss or damage.|
|Printing||Print outs can be picked up at Printer 1.|
|Help||Please see the staff at the circulation desk.|
iPads can be located at library Circulation/Reserve Desks. Overdue fines will accrue at ten dollars () a day for every day the item is late.
After an additional week, you will be charged the replacement cost of the iPad (0).
Who can check out iPads?
Students, faculty, and staff of MU. MU ID cards are required for checkout. The iPad 2′s are limited to student checkout as they were purchased with the Student Capital Improvement Fund.
Where do I go to check out an iPad?
iPads are available for check out at the Circulation/Reserve Desks in the following libraries: Ellis, Engineering, Health Sciences and Journalism.
How long can I keep an iPad?
Loan periods vary:
- 4 Ellis (1 week) (iPad 3)
- 1 Engineering (1 week) (iPad 3)
- Health Sciences (2 weeks)
- Journalism (2 weeks)
All the iPads are checked out; how can I get one?
Due to low quantities purchased, we cannot guarantee an iPad will be available when you come by. All equipment is checked out on a “first come, first serve” basis.
Can I download new apps to the iPad?
You are welcome to create your own iTunes account and add as many apps as you like.
What about my personal data on the iPad? (Passwords, email, etc.)
The safest bet is to remove any personal information from the device before you return it to the Reserve Desk. However, each iPad will be restored to a default load upon each check in, deleting all data and apps from the previous user. The MU Libraries are not responsible for anything you put or leave on our equipment.
Mitsubishi projectors are available for checkout in Ellis, Engineering, Health Sciences, and Journalism libraries.
- 3 hour loan period
HD and standard video cameras, and point-and-shoot cameras available
- 1, 3, and 7 day loan periods depending on camera
- Cases, and Tripods are available
|Library Name||Loan Period||Within Library||Out-side of Library|
|Health Sciences||3 hours||2|
H2 Handy Recorders sound are available for checkout in Ellis, Engineering, Health Sciences, and Journalism libraries.
- 24 hour loan period
Micro and Mini USB charger cables, USB card reader, 8GB flash drives, 8 and 16GB SCHC Cards, calculator, ethernet cables
- 1 available at Ellis Library
- 1 available at the Engineering Library
- 1 available at the Geology Library
- 1 available at the Health Sciences Library
- 4 available at the Journalism Library
- 1 available at the Veterinary Medicine Library
- 1 Bamboo Pen & Touch graphics tablet available at the Journalism Library
- 1 Calculator available at the Journalism Library
- 1 8GB flash drive available at the Journalism Library
- 3 SDHC cards available at the Journalism Library
- 2 Micro-USB cables available at the Journalism Library
- 6 Mini-USB cables available at the Journalism Library
- 10 USB card readers available at the Journalism Library
- 6 Ethernet Cables at Ellis Library