CONFERENCE & CONFERENCE PAPERS GUIDE
Proceedings of conferences, meetings, symposia, workshops, summer schools, etc. may be difficult to find in the library because they don’t fall neatly into either the book or the journal category. When looking for conference proceedings, be prepared for a multi-step search process.
How can I find a paper presented at a conference?
- The complete proceedings of a conference may be published in:
- A few “Select” papers from conference proceedings may also be published in books, journals and series.
- Complete proceedings are not always published. Extended abstracts, digests of papers, and invited papers are examples of what may be published in lieu of complete proceedings. 40% of the time, NOTHING is published.
- If you cannot find it, do not assume that the Libraries don’t own it. Ask your librarian for assistance!
Where to begin:
- Do you have a complete, accurate citation?
Where to search to verify your citation and locate online full-text papers:
- Google Advanced Search
- Best Databases to Locate Conferences
- ProQuest Technology Collection
- MU Libraries databases
What fields to search (possible searching points):
- ISSN search (International Standard Serial Number)
- Series title search
- ISBN search (specific book number)
- Editor(s)’ last name(s)
- Sponsoring agency
- Corporate Author versus conference title
- Author(s) of article plus key phrase from article title
- Key “two or three-word” key phrases from conference information or source
Where to locate the complete conference proceedings in print:
Examples of conferences and how they are represented in catalogs and databases:
Sample Conference Citation #1
Nakai, Teruo and Masaya, Hinokio. “An Elastoplastic Model for Normally and Over Consolidated Soils in General Stress Systems and Its Application to Some Geotechnical Problems.” 1st Japan-U. S. Workshop on Testing, Modeling, and Simulation. June 27-29, 2003, Boston , Massachusetts , USA
- Same citation reformatted:
|Authors of article||Nakai, Teruo and Masaya, Hinokio|
|Title of article||“An Elastoplastic Model for Normally and Over Consolidated Soils in General Stress Systems and Its Application to Some Geotechnical Problems”|
|Conference Title:||1st Japan-U. S. Workshop on Testing, Modeling, and Simulation|
|Dates||June 27-29, 2003, Boston , Massachusetts , USA|
- Search Compendex for the author and/or title of article.
- Full Record for conference in Compendex (excluding subject terms and abstract):
|Title||An elastoplastic model for normally and over consolidated soils in general stress systems and its application to some geotechnical problems|
|Author||Nakai, Teruo. Hinokio, Masaya.|
|Institution||Department of Civil Engineering Nagoya Institute of Technology, Showa-ku, Nagoya 466-8555, Japan|
|Source||Geotechnical Special Publication Geomechanics: Testing, Modeling, and Simulation – Proceedings of the First Japan-U.S. Workshop on Testing, Modeling, and Simulation . n 143 2005. p 237-254 .|
|Conference Information||Geomechanics: Testing, Modeling, and Simulation – Proceedings of the First Japan-U.S. Workshop on Testing, Modeling, and Simulation. Boston , MA , United States . 20030627-20030629. Conference Code: 64955.|
|Publication Type||Conference Paper|
|Sponsor||ASCE , Soil Properties and Modeling Committee of the Geo-Institute. Japanese Geotechnical Society. Japanese Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Eng. , JSSMFE. Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. National Science Foundation.|
- Locate the full-text of the article.
- Fields to Search in Catalogs, WorldCat, other databases:
|Conference||First Japan-U.S. Workshop on Testing, Modeling, and Simulation|
|Editors||Jerry A. Yamamuro, Junichi Koseki|
|Series||Geotechnical Special Publication|
|ISSN||0895-0563 (for series)|
|ISBN||0-7844-0797-5 (for specific book)|
|Monograph title(s) for same work!||
|Specific paper||Geotechnical Special Publication n 143 2005. p 237-254|
|Specific paper in ASCE Research Library Database||An Elastoplastic Model for Normally and Over Consolidated Soils in General Stress Systems and Its Application to Some Geotechnical Problems
Nakai Teruo and Masaya Hinokio ( last name not indicated)
Geomechanics 2003 172, 13 (2003)
- The MU Libraries do not have this conference in print. However, we do have access to the electronic version in the ASCE Research Library. You must search one of the following (or combination of):
- individual author(s) of the specific paper
- title of the specific paper
- portion of conference title (i.e,. geomechanics 2003)
- For some reason, ASCE exludes the sub-title of the conference proceeding which is why it’s important to try several strategies.
Conference Citation #2
McKean, J.; Buechel, S.; Gaydos, L. J. “Remote sensing and landslide hazard assessment .” Proceedings of the Eighth thematic conference on Geologic remote sensing; exploration, engineering, and environment. Proceedings of the Thematic Conference on Geologic Remote Sensing, May 02, 1991, Vol. 8, pp. 729-742
- Same citation reformatted:
|Authors of article||McKean, J.; Buechel, S.; Gaydos, L. J.|
|Title of article||“Remote sensing and landslide hazard assessment .”|
|Conference Title:||Proceedings of the Eighth thematic conference on Geologic remote sensing; exploration, engineering, and environment.|
|Dates||Denver , CO , United States , April 29-May 2, 1991|
- Search GeoRef for a more complete record:
|Remote sensing and landslide hazard assessment|
|McKean, J. (U.S.D.A. For. Serv., Pleasant Hill , CA , United States ); Buechel, S.; Gaydos, L. J.|
|Proceedings of the Eighth thematic conference on Geologic remote sensing; exploration, engineering, and environment. Rogers, Robert H. [chairperson]|
|Proceedings of the Thematic Conference on Geologic Remote Sensing, May 02, 1991, Vol. 8, pp. 729-742|
|Environmental Research Institute of Michigan : Ann Arbor , MI , United States|
Country of Publication:
|May 02, 1991|
|Eighth thematic conference on Geologic remote sensing; exploration, engineering and environment. Author Hopkins, Robert Henry (Ed). Mouat, David A (Ed).Denver, CO, United States , April 29-May 2, 1991|
- Search the MERLIN Catalog for the conference, Thematic Conference on Geologic Remote Sensing.
- Try other databases: Search Compendex, Google / Google Scholar
- Compendex citation:
McKean, J. Buechel, S. Gaydos , L. Remote sensing and landslide hazard assessment . [Journal Article] Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. v 57 n 9 Sep 1991. p 1185-1193
- NOTE: “Select” papers from the conference are published in this journal issue.
- Search MERLIN for MU Libraries’ holdings of the journal, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing.
Conference Citation #3
Tanaka, A., Bauer, G. and Queiroz de Carvalho, J.B., 1989. Failure and Analysis of a Concrete Silo. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering , Vol. 1, pp. 345-348.
- Search in Compendex. Note the AUTHOR(s) listed. In this case, only one author is in the record!
Accession Number 92120160173
Title Failure and analysis of a concrete silo.
Author Tanaka, A.
Institution Federal Univ of Paraiba , Braz
Source Proceedings of the International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering . Publ by A. v 1.A. Balkema, Rotterdam , Neth. p 345-348.
Conference Information Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. Rio de Janeiro , Br. 19890813-19890818. Conference
Abstract A concrete corn silo, founded in a desiccated stiff clay deposit, failed upon first filling. A detailed soil investigation in the field and in the laboratory followed. This paper reports on the events leading to the failure, the extensive in situ and laboratory tests which were carried out and on the subsequent bearing capacity analysis considering the varying strength parameters of the soil deposit. (Author abstract) [References: 0]
Publication Type Conference Paper
- To locate this conference paper / proceedings, try the following:
- Search Advanced Google for paper/proceedings
- Author/title of article
- Conference title/corporate author
- NOTE: ISBNs and ISSNs are not always included in MERLIN or database records, or they are sometimes inaccurate. Search author, title, and conference title if no records are retrieved by an ISBN/ISSN search.
- If all else fails, submit an interlibrary loan request!