- The library stacks are open to all users. Patrons are encouraged to locate and retrieve their own books, and to browse if they wish.
- Reference books (bibliographies, encyclopedias, handbooks, dictionaries, etc.) are shelved in Library of Congress call number order in the first range across from the circulation desk. These materials do not circulate.
Books and Periodicals
- All non-reference books and periodicals are shelved according to the Library of Congress (LC) classification system in the library stacks.
- All books and journals classified according to the Dewey are shelved in UMLD, the UM Libraries Depository. The LC classification system files according to letters while the Dewey classification scheme begins with numbers.
- Current (unbound) journals are shelved alphabetically by title on the east wall of the library.
- Findit@MU provides quick access to full-text online journals..
New Book Shelf
- The new book shelves are located directly across from the Circulation Desk.
- New books are placed there weekly and stay for the rest of the month.
- They may be checked out one week after it is placed on the shelf.
- You can also view the new books for previous months online.