English 4109-02/7109-02 / Film Studies 4001-01/7001-01 The WesternInstructor: Dr. Joanna Hearne
- The Gale Virtual Reference Library provides specialized online encyclopedias for background information.
- Schirmer Encyclopedia of Film (Ref. PN1993.45 .S35 2007)
- The encyclopedia of westerns (PN1995.9.W4 F27 2003 )
- The BFI companion to the western (PN1995.9.W4 B45 1988 )
- Western films : a complete guide (PN1995.9.W4 G3 1982 )
- Films by Genre (Ref. PN1998 .L63 1993)
- Read the high country : guide to western books and films (Ref. PS374.W4 M67 2006)
- Encyclopedia of frontier and western fiction (Ref. PS374.W4 E53 1983)
- Encyclopedia of American Cultural and Intellectual History (Ref. E169.1 .E624 2001)
- Greenwood Guide to American Popular Culture (Ref. E169.1 .G7555 2002)
- Encyclopedia of the American West (Ref. F591 .E485 1996)
- American Folklore: an encyclopedia (Ref.GR101 .A54 1996)
- Encyclopedia of American Social History (Ref. HN57 .E58 1993)
- The MERLIN catalog shows materials in the MU Libraries.
- The MOBIUS catalog shows materials from Missouri academic libraries.
- WorldCat shows materials from many libraries worldwide.
- Keyword searches can be very specific, but a subject search is sometimes more organized:
- Some subject headings to try:
- Western films
- Western television programs
- Motion pictures
- Motion picture industry
- Minorities in motion pictures
- Minorities in the motion picture industry
- West U.S. Civilization
- West U.S. in Art
- West U.S. in Mass Media
Finding scholarly articles, news sources, and other current information.
Databases index sources in greater detail than library catalogs do. Each caters to a different audience and covers different information sources.
- LION: Literature Online is the main index for literary scholarship, including film studies and folklore.
- Choose Criticism & Reference from the sidebar.
- Choose Criticism to search both the MLA International Bibliography and ABELL, the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature.
- Choose Reference to search a variety of literary encyclopedias and handbooks.
- Choose Web Sites for a select collection of links.
- FIAF is the main film studies database.
- Communication and Mass Media Complete includes television and film studies.
- Art Index covers all aspects of the visual arts.
- America: History and Life covers research on American history.
- GenderWatch provides access to materials all aspects of gender studies.
- The Alternative Press Index indexes alternative, radical, and left periodicals, magazines, and newspapers.
- Academic Search Premier indexes the core journals in all fields and many popular and news sources.
- Reader’s Guide Retrospective lists articles in journals from 1890 to 1982.
- Lexis Nexis Academic is a major source for the full text of newspapers, many magazines, television and radio transcripts, and a collection of blogs. To find book reviews in Lexis Nexis choose “News”, then under select sources choose “Book, movie, music, play, and video reviews”.
Click on to locate a copy of the article online, in the library, or through ILL@MU. If this icon does not appear in the database go to Find a Specific Article or Journal on the libraries’ gateway page.