STUDENT ASSISTANT POSITIONS
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY FOR A STUDENT ASSISTANT POSITION
Thank you for your interest in working for MU Libraries. The Libraries has around 20 units that hire student assistants across Ellis Library and all of our specialized libraries and offsite locations (Columbia Missourian, Engineering, Geology, Health Sciences, Journalism, Math, University Archives, UM Libraries Depository, Veterinary Medical). The Libraries hire both undergraduate and graduate MU students as student assistants.
The MU Libraries now utilizes HireMizzouTigers.com for student hiring. HireMizzouTigers.com is operated by the MU Career Center. MU Libraries will post open positions on HireMizzouTigers.com and collect resumes through that system. Please visit HireMizzouTigers.com to create a profile and view openings.
- Log into HireMizzouTigers.com
- Search for "MU Libraries" or by the individual Job ID associated with the position you are interested in. Job ID can be found on the next tab "Student Job Openings"
- Download and complete the MU Libraries Student Employment Application Supplement. This document needs to be attached along with a resume to each library position to which you apply.
- Submit your resume and the supplement through HireMizzouTigers.com
For assistance submitting your application through HireMizzouTigers.com, please contact the MU Career Center at (573) 882-6801 or in the lower level of the Student Success Center. HireMizzouTigers.com is operated by the MU Career Center.
The Libraries Administrative Office does not make hiring decisions; we assist with, and facilitate, the hiring process. We may be contacted at 573-882-4701, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in 104 Ellis Library to assist with any questions you have about the application or the application process.
The Libraries also has work study positions available. For more information on work study please contact the Work Study Office.
Student Job Openings
CURRENT STUDENT POSITION OPENINGS
Please check back on a regular basis for updates and new positions.
- Digitization Projects Student Assistant: Ellis Library Digital Services – Job ID: 1100692
- Student Assistant: Veterinary Medical Library – Job ID: 1158181
Digital Services, located on the first floor of Ellis Library, performs digitization of books, maps, posters, and other flat media. These activities are in support of MU Libraries’ and other Mizzou partners’ efforts to ensure that relevant digital information is preserved and made accessible to the University of Missouri community in perpetuity.
The person in this position will assist with the digitization, post-processing, and quality control of library and archival materials as well as assistance with submitting content to MU Digital Libraries and repositories. This is an excellent opportunity to work closely with special and archival collections as well as with digital technology, and may be of particular interest to those considering a career in special collections, archives, or museums.
- Evaluation and documentation of the condition of documents to be digitized.
- Digitizing books and other documents.
- Basic editing of digital images using Photoshop.
- Maintaining documentation to show work accomplished.
- Responsible for the care and handling of rare and fragile objects and documents.
- Ability to operate copiers and scanners.
- Ability to stand at a scanner for 2-3 hours at a time.
- Ability to perform detailed work with a high rate of accuracy.
- Ability to perform computer data entry or word processing, including Excel and Notepad.
- Ability to evaluate and improve the quality of digital image.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Familiarity with Photoshop.
- Experience using photocopiers or scanners.
The Veterinary Medical Library is currently looking for dependable and responsible students to work for approximately 4-8 hours per week. The number of hours per week can vary. The Vet Med library is located on the East Campus, inside the Veterinary Medicine Building Rm W218 off of Campus View Drive.
Student Hours are:
Monday through Thursday – 4:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.
Sunday – 2:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.
Intercession & Break Hours:
Monday-Thursday Close at 6:00 P.M.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Student Hours: 4 to 10 hours per week
Students who apply should be available to work all shifts listed but it is not required.
Student assistants are responsible for:
- Assist in closing the library Monday through Thursday; Opening and closing on Sunday
- Working the circulation desk, which involves the checking-out and checking-in of materials and reserve items, recording statistics
- Assisting patrons
- Reshelving materials
- Other duties such as shifting and shelf reading as assigned by the library staff
- Perform alphanumeric sequencing of books and serials
- Perform basic math computations
- Work with minimal or no direct supervision and meet accuracy goals as determined by department
- Ability to move books of varying size, shape and weight
- Library experience
- Good people skills
- Good communication skills
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
The University of Missouri is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Accessibility & ADA Education at 573-882-5835.