STUDENT ASSISTANT POSITIONS
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY FOR A STUDENT ASSISTANT POSITION
Thank you for your interest in working for MU Libraries. The Libraries has around 20 units that hire student assistants across Ellis Library and all of our specialized libraries and offsite locations (Columbia Missourian, Engineering, Geology, Health Sciences, Journalism, Math, University Archives, UM Libraries Depository, Veterinary Medical). The Libraries hire both undergraduate and graduate MU students as student assistants.
The MU Libraries now utilizes HireMizzouTigers.com for student hiring. HireMizzouTigers.com is operated by the MU Career Center. MU Libraries will post open positions on HireMizzouTigers.com and collect resumes through that system. Please visit HireMizzouTigers.com to create a profile and view openings.
- Log into HireMizzouTigers.com
- Search for "MU Libraries" or by the individual Job ID associated with the position you are interested in. Job ID can be found on the next tab "Student Job Openings"
- Download and complete the MU Libraries Student Employment Application Supplement. This document needs to be attached along with a resume to each library position to which you apply.
- Submit your resume and the supplement through HireMizzouTigers.com
For assistance submitting your application through HireMizzouTigers.com, please contact the MU Career Center at (573) 882-6801 or in the lower level of the Student Success Center. HireMizzouTigers.com is operated by the MU Career Center.
The Libraries Administrative Office does not make hiring decisions; we assist with, and facilitate, the hiring process. We may be contacted at 573-882-4701, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in 104 Ellis Library to assist with any questions you have about the application or the application process.
The Libraries also has work study positions available. For more information on work study please contact the Work Study Office.
Student Job Openings
CURRENT STUDENT POSITION OPENINGS
University Archives Student Assistant
Description of Unit: University Archives is the depository of official records of the University of Missouri as well as of the administrative records of the University of Missouri System. University Archives also houses and preserves private papers, organizational records, and manuscripts that relate to the history of the University, the University community, and the University System.
University Archives is part of the MU Libraries at the University of Missouri. The hours of operation, and the available hours for student employment, are Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm. (Evening and weekend hours are not available for this position.)
Job Description: This student position supports the mission of the University Archives by providing assistance to the Archivists and other employees of the University Archives. Student work shifts are typically 2-3 hours.
Specific Duties Include:
- Provide clerical support to the unit (copying, data entry, answering phones).
- Assist staff in basic reference research for patron requests.
- Assist staff in basic processing of materials in the Archives collection. This may include both physical and electronic records.
- Retrieve materials from storage.
- Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software (for example, Microsoft Office suite)
- Requires the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Requires the ability to retrieve or place materials on shelves at ground level and up to nine feet in height, using step stools or ladders.
- Requires the ability to move boxes or other loads (up to 50 lbs.) by hand or by hand truck/dolly.
- Requires the ability to identify collection numbers where lighting may be compromised, on shelves at ground level or up to nine feet in height.
- Duties may expose you to mold and/or dust.
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
The University of Missouri is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Accessibility & ADA Education at 573-882-5835.