Librarian IV, Associate University Librarian for Research, Access, and Instructional Services | Interim AUL for University Archives, Special Collections, and Digital Services
Research, Access & Instructional Services (RAIS)
- Master of Arts in History, Saint Louis University
- Master of Science in Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Bachelor of Arts in History, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 104G Ellis Library
- (573) 882-6450
Jeannette Pierce is Associate University Librarian for Research, Access, and Instructional Services and Interim Associate University Librarian for University Archives, Special Collections, and Digital Services for MU Libraries. She has been at the University of Missouri since 2013. Pierce served previously at Loyola University Chicago, first as head of reference services and subsequently as director of the Loyola Information Commons, an innovative four-story addition to the main library managed in partnership with campus technology services and focused on student success. Early career positions included librarian positions at Johns Hopkins University and Saint Louis University. Pierce is an active member of numerous professional organizations, including the Association of College and Research Libraries. In 2014, she was selected to attend Harvard’s Library Leadership in the Digital Age program and she is a recent alumnus of the Association of Research Libraries’ Leadership Fellows Program. Pierce holds an MS degree in Library and Information Science and a BA in History from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and an MS in History from Saint Louis University
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author with Janine A. Kuntz, “The 2019 ACRL Academic Library Trends and Statistics Annual Survey: Mapping results to the ACRL Standards for Libraries in Higher Education.” College & Research Libraries News, v. 82(2): 87-90, 2021.
- Co-author with Fred D. Barnhart, “Becoming Mobile: Reference in the Ubiquitous Library.” Journal of Library Administration, Vol. 51(3): 271-290, 2011.
- Co-presenter with Martha Allen, Leading into the Future, Together Apart: Missouri Library Association Virtual Symposium, October 2, 2020.
- Co-presenter with Gwen Gray, Knowing our Users: Deriving Value from the Ithaka S+R Surveys at the University of Missouri, Library Assessment Conference, Houston, TX, December 5, 2018.
- Co-presenter with Grace Atkins, Leading Open Educational Resource Initiatives, MOBIUS Annual Conference, Columbia, MO, June 6, 2017.
- Co-presenter with Win Shih, Learning from Adversity: Advice from Library Leaders. IFLA WLIC 2016, Columbus, OH, August 17, 2016.
- Co-presenter with Brandy L. Brady, Hannah Christian, and Christina Virden, Now Open 24/7 (Virtually). MOBIUS Annual Conference, Columbia, MO, June 7, 2016.
- Presenter, Support Open Educational Resources Now! MLA/KLA Libraries without Borders, Kansas City, MO, October 2, 2015.
- Co-presenter with Cindy Cotner and Diane Johnson, Students Want You to Explore the Use of Open Educational Resources. Celebration of Teaching, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, May 20, 2015.
- Presenter, Byte Me: Megabytes, Gigabytes, and Terabytes at the University of Missouri. Friday GPN Professional Development Program, Online, April 8, 2014.
- American Library Association
- Association of Academic & Research Libraries
- CORE: Leadership, Infrastructure, Futures
- International Relations Round Table
- Reference & User Services Association
- Missouri Library Association
- Loyola Information Commons, Loyola University Chicago, Director
- Cudahy Library, Loyola University Chicago, Head of Reference
- Milton S. Eisenhower Library, Johns Hopkins University, Research & Collections Services Librarian for History & Political Science
- Pius XII Memorial Library, Saint Louis University, Reference Librarian
- Intensive English
Areas of Expertise
- Electronic Resources
- Faculty Liaison Services
- History Librarianship
- Information Literacy
- Library Administration
- Library as Information Commons
- Library Programming
- Open Educational Resources
- Scholarly Communication