Reading Room Rules and Guidelines
The collections are open to all users during regular hours of service. Before using the reading room for the first time, all users must register and provide contact information, name, and photo ID. During registration, users must also read and sign a copy of these rules.
Materials are available for use only in the reading room (room 401) and cannot be removed.
No food, beverages, or tobacco are allowed in the reading room, including water bottles.
Loose-leaf paper, pencils, laptop computers, and mobile devices are allowed at the study tables.
The use of ink pens is not permitted in the reading room. Paper and pencils are available upon request.
Users must silence mobile devices and leave the reading room to place or receive calls.
Personal items are not allowed at the reading tables. Users must store coats, bags, and other personal belongings except those noted above in the shelving or lockers provided.
Care in Handling
All materials in the department must be handled with great care.
- No marks may be added or erased.
- No tracings or rubbings may be made without specific permission from staff.
- Materials should remain on the table while being consulted.
- Documents must be kept in exact order, facing in same direction they were found in the folder, and folders must be returned to the box in their original place.
- Book cradles, pillows, and weighted snakes should be employed to aid use of fragile materials.
- No books, papers, or objects may be laid on top of the materials, nor should the user lean on them.
- Staff may request users to wear gloves, but in most cases, gloves are not required.
- Non-flash photography is allowed, but must be approved and supervised by staff.