This page provides a selection of historical newspaper resources. At the top of the page, is a list that links to newspapers and databases that are available online through Ellis Library subscriptions. In addition, the tables below provide links to resources that are freely available to the general public.
- Academic Search Complete Academic Search Complete provides full-text for more than 8,600 periodicals, including more than 7,500 peer-reviewed journals. It also offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals.. To search for newspapers only, select “Newspaper” under publication type.
- C19 – Nineteenth Century Index draws on the strength of established indexes such as the Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue, The Wellesley Index and Periodicals Index Online to create integrated bibliographic coverage of over 1.3 million books and official publications, 61,647 archival collections and 15.5 million articles published in over 2,500 journals, magazines and newspapers. Full-text is not available.
- Chronicling America, Early American Newspapers (Currently covering selected newspapers from Florida, Kentucky, New York, Utah, Virginia, and Washington D.C. 1900-1910 available now, with plans to expand dates from 1836-1922).
- Columbia Missourian online edition provides full-text access to articles published in the Missourian from 2002-present.
- Factiva provides access to current issues and an archive of over 8,000 publications from around the globe. Search for newspapers by selecting “Source”, then “Newspapers: All”. This may also be broken down by continent, region, or country, then selecting a specific newspaper. Full-text available.
- Historic Missouri Newspaper Project provides searchable full-images of 14 Missouri newspapers. Coverage dates vary.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe offers access to the fulltext of current and back issues of major newspapers, journals, newsletters, and news sources from around the world. This source is full-text. Use “Quick News Search” for any newspaper articles about a topic, or the “Guided News Search” for articles in a specific newspaper.
- NewsBank, a searchable full-text database, indexes the St. Louis Post-Dispatch from 1989, the Kansas City Star from 1991, and other selected newspapers from Missouri and around the nation.
- Paper of Record is a free Internet site (registration required) providing searchable full text versions of hundreds of historical newspapers from around the world.
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers digitally reproduces every issue of the New York Times and the Chicago Defender (1910-1975) from cover-to-cover. There is a short gap between this database’s coverage and the most current issues. Coverage during this gap can be found in Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe. It provides full page-image and full-text searching of these newspapers. To limit results by date, see these instructions.
- ProQuest Newsstand contains over 850 newspapers with access to 575 full-text titles. With titles like the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and major regionals like the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post and the Boston Globe, users can also find access to international, national, and regional news. Coverage: 1980′s to present.
- Regional Business News provides comprehensive full-text coverage for regional business publications. It incorporates coverage of 75 business journals, newspapers and newswires from all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
|California||Daily Alta California||1880-1890||San Francisco newspaper.|
|San Francisco Call||1900-1910|
|Colorado||Colorado’s Historic Newspaper Collection||1859-1923||Over 100 newspapers online. Browse by issue or search all titles|
|Florida||Chronicling America||1900-1910||The DeSoto County News (Arcadia), The Florida Agriculturalist (DeLand), Gainesville Daily Sun (Gainesville), The New Enterprise (Madison), The Pensacola Journal (Pensacola), The Punta Gorda Herald (Punta Gorda).|
|Georgia||The Cherokee Phoenix||1828-1833||The first American Indian newspaper.|
|The Colored Tribune||1876||African American newspaper based in Savannah.|
|The Dublin Post||1878-1887|
|Hawaii||Ulukau: Hawaiian Electronic Library||1834-1948||Over 40 Hawaiian and English language newspapers. Partial runs.|
|Hawaiian Language Newspapers||1861-1927||16 Hawaiian language newspapers online. Partial runs.|
|Kentucky||Kentuckiana Digital Library||1886-1910||Adair County News, Bluegrass Blade, Bourbon News, Central Record|
|Maryland||Baltimore Afro American||1902-1978||Free registration required. Partial run.|
|American Eagle||1856-1857||Cambridge newspaper. Free registration required.|
|Cambridge Chronicle||1830-1903||Free registration required. Partial run.|
|Cambridge Tribune||1937-1947||Free registration required.|
|Minnesota||Winona Newspaper Project||1855, 1857, 1860-1946||Winona Argus, Winona Daily Republican, and Winona Republican-Herald|
|Missouri||Missouri Historic Newspapers||1836-1987|
|The Sporting News||1886-2003||Free registration required.|
|New Hampshire||White Mountain Reporter||1895-1897||North Conway newspaper. Free registration required.|
|New Jersey||Atlantic County Newspapers||1860-1923||Non-searchable PDF files. Browsable by date.|
|New York||Brooklyn Daily Eagle||1841-1902||Extensive national and international coverage.|
|Mackenzie’s Gazette||1838-1840||New York City newspaper. Free registration required.|
|New York Examiner||1843||New York City newspaper. Free registration required.|
|Freedom’s Journal||1827-1829||America’s first African American newspaper. Based in New York City.|
|New York Sun||1900-1910||New York City newspaper.|
|New York Times||1851-2003|
|Northern New York Historical Newspapers||1811-2004|
|Suffolk Historic Newspaper Archive||1839-1892||The Corrector, The Long Islander, The Long Island Traveler, The Port Jefferson Echo, and The South Side Signal.|
|Volunteer||1841-1842||Rochester newspaper. Free registration required.|
|Ohio||The Israelite||1859-67||Cincinnati newspaper. Free registration required.|
|Pennsylvania||The Occident and American Jewish Advocate||1843-1851|
|Collegian||1887-1976||Penn State’s student newspaper|
|Lancaster County Newspaper Archive||1830-1950||Lancaster County newspapers: The Lancaster Examiner & Herald, The Columbia Spy, The Intelligencer Journal, The New Holland Clarion, and The Lancaster Farmer|
|Franklin Repository||1859-1867||Republican Newspaper. Excerpts.|
|Lock Haven Express||1889-1931||Free registration required.|
|Pennsylvania Civil War Newspapers||1847-1874||Newspapers of Bellefonte, Chambersburg, Columbia, Erie, Gettysburg, Huntingdon, Philadelphia, Reading, Waynesboro and Wellsboro.|
|Pennsylvania County Historic Newspapers||1790-1870||Various newspapers from Pennsylvania counties. Not all titles cover the entire date period.|
|Tennessee||El Evangelista Mexicano||1893||Free registration required|
|Utah||The Salt Lake Herald||1900-1910|
|Utah Digital Newspaper Project||1850-1969||Over 40 newspapers including the Deseret News.|
|Virginia||Republican Vindicator||1859-1870||Democratic newspaper in Augusta County. Excerpts.|
|Richmond Afro American||1947||Free registration required.|
|Richmond Daily Dispatch||1860-1865||Widely read newspaper in Richmond during the Civil War.|
|The Times Dispatch||1900-1910||Whig newspaper in Augusta County. Excerpts.|
|Staunton Specatator||1857-1870||Whig newspaper in Augusta County. Excerpts.|
|Valley Virginian||1865-1870||Augusta County newspaper. Excerpts.|
|Virginia Gazette||1736-1780||Williamsburg, VA. newspaper.|
|Washington D.C.||Chronicling America||1900-1910||The Colored American, The Evening Times, The Hatchet, The National Forum, The Suburban Citizen, The Sunday Globe, Sunday Morning Globe, Sunday Washington Globe, The Washington Bee, The Washington Herald, Washington Sentinel, Washington Times, Washington Weekly Post, The Weekly News (Anacostia).|
|The National Era||1847-1860||African American newspaper.|
|The Silent Worker||1888-1929||Popular national newspaper among the deaf population, published by the New Jersey school for the Deaf.|
|The Stars and Stripes||1918-1919||Paper published by the U.S. Army for its forces stationed in France.|
|Washington State||Washington Historic Newspapers||1852-1886||Newspapers from Seattle, Olympia, Spokane, and Walla Walla. Requires DjVu plug in.|
|Wisconsin||Wisconsin Local History and Biography Articles||1860-1940||Over 16,000 articles about biographical and local subjects excerpted from many newspapers.|
|Australia||Australian Periodical Publications||1840-1845||Includes periodicals from Australia, as well as London-published periodicals of relevance to Australia.|
|Port Phillip Herald||1840-1902||Free registration required.|
|Austria||ANNO: Austrian Newspapers Online||19th and 20th centuries||Over 60 historical newspapers of Austria, digitized by the Austrian National Library.|
|Canada||Alberta Newspapers Collection||1885-2001||Enormous collection, but not searchable across issues or titles.|
|Democracy at War||1939-1945||Collection of article clippings about WWII published in Canadian newspapers.|
|Globe and Mail||1844-2002||“Canada’s National Newspaper.”|
|Paper of Record||1752-2001||Large collection of over 100 major and local Canadian newspapers. Free registration required.|
|Ontario Canada Community Newspapers||1810-2007||This collection contains a variety of newspapers from Ontario, Canada. The collection includes Provincial Freeman, an African-American paper published in Chatham, Canada West (now Ontario)|
|New Zealand||Papers Past||19th century||41 newspapers and periodicals from 19th century New Zealand.|
|Niupepa: Māori Newspapers||1842-1932||A collection of Māori and English language historic newspapers published primarily for a Māori audience between 1842 and 1932.|
|United Kingdom||British Newspapers||1800-1900||A searchable database of newspapers from throughout the United Kingdom.|
|Illustrated London News||1861-1865|
|Christian Science Monitor||1860-1940|
|Dallas Morning News||1885-1977|
|The Toronto Star||1894-2004|