The Shelving Unit within the Access Services Department of Ellis Library is seeking two (2) .50 FTE Library Information Assistants.
The Shelving Unit within the Access Services Department of Ellis Library supports the mission of the Library and the University by providing an organized, accessible, and well-maintained collection of books, journals, newsprint, and media.
This position supports the Shelving Unit within Access Services by assisting with sorting, loading, and shelving of books, maintenance of the collection, providing customer service to patrons.
Specific Duties Include:
- Sort and shelve books and media by call number on book trucks and shelves
- Maintain stacks (straighten/clean stacks, pick up in-house use, etc.)
- Load book trucks by location
- Sort and shelve unbound periodicals and newsprint by title and volume
- Search for missing books
- Print off book requests through the SIERRA system
- Pull ILL book requests
- Assist with the planning and implementation of book shifts
- Shelf read collection as needed
- Assist patrons with book locations, navigating the library, checking the catalog, and referring to staff as needed
- Assign work to student assistants and record their work as needed
- Assist with the training of student assistants as needed
$11.54 per hour
Internal applicants can determine their current grade and university title by accessing the Job Information page through the Additional Employee Info tile in myHR.
Each position will work 20 hours a week. Some weekend hours may be required.
- High school diploma or equivalent and at least 1 year of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- Good customer-service skills
- Flexibility to switch hours/shifts if needed
- Requires the ability to obtain/place materials on shelves at ground level and on shelves up to nine feet in height using step stools, ladders, or other devices.
- Requires the ability to identify call numbers where lighting may be compromised, on shelves at ground level and on shelves up to nine feet in height using step stools, ladders, or other devices
- Requires the ability to move a book cart weighing at least 200 lbs. (these are on wheels)
- Requires the ability to transport several books at one time and/or move boxes of books (up to 50 pounds)
- Requires the ability to perform very detailed work
- Knowledge of Library of Congress and Dewey Decimal classification systems
- Familiarity with Ellis Library stacks
- Familiarity with the Libraries’ online catalogs (MERLIN and MOBIUS)
- Work experience in a library setting
- Supervisory experience preferred but not required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Note: Review of applicants will begin the week of July 8.
Apply online at https://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/staff with Job ID 30423.
This position is not eligible for University benefits. Individuals in non-benefit eligible positions may choose to participate in the Tax Deferred Annuity Plan (403b). For information about this plan, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits